Since the last time the list was released in 2004, Rolling Stone Magazine published its first list of the 500 Greatest Songs of all Time. A lot has changed since then so they decided to give the list a total reboot, and create a new version of Rolling Stones 500.
They accomplished this by inviting more than 250 artists, musicians, and producers as well as figures from the music industry and leading critics and journalists. They each sent in a ranked list of their top 50 songs, the Rolling Stone tabulated the results.
Nearly 4,000 songs received votes. The original 2004 version of the list was dominated by early rock and soul, the new list contains more hip-hop, country, indie rock, Latin pop reggae and R&B. More than have the songs weren’t presented on the old list, resulting in a more expansive, inclusive vision of pop, music that keeps rewriting its history.
Here are the top 10
10) Outkast “Hey Ya”
9) Fleetwood Mac “Dreams”
8) Missy Elliot “Get Ur Freak On”
7) The Beatles “Strawberry Fields Forever”
6) Marvin Gay “What’s Going On”
5) Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
4) Bob Dylan “Like a Rolling Stone”
3) Sam Cooke “A Change is Gonna Come”
2) Public Enemy “Fight the Power”
1 ) Aretha Franklin “R E S P E C T”